Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Fun/Fail

We had a great Easter weekend.  We dyed a dozen eggs on Saturday and Luke is looking forward to eating most of them.  Such fun!

Pretty good-looking eggs, huh?

 Thank goodness for the shrinky things for the eggs I cracked when boiling!  They got to look cool too. :)

Ginger took part in the egg-dying festivities as a spectator.

 Luke clearly loves his Easter loot, despite the fact that he may or may not now know that there is no Easter Bunny.  Being the organized sort that I am, of course, I thought how efficient it would be to go ahead and get Luke's Easter basket ready Friday night after he had gone to bed.  Well, sometime Saturday, Luke mentioned something to me about how we should get his Easter basket out of the closet so it was out and ready for the Easter Bunny.  I put him off with something about how I would just get it out later after he had gone to bed and that he shouldn't worry about it.  I should have known better than to think that would work, because when I was tucking him in Saturday night, he mentions that he went to get his Easter basket out of my closet, but "there was stuff in it!"  Oops...I tried to probe gently to see if he had figured out that the Easter Bunny was none other than me, but he said he didn't really see anything, but he knew there was stuff in his basket.  I played it off with some lame line like, "Yeah - that's why I told you I'd get it out later, because I put some stuff in it and I piled a bunch of other stuff on it since it's in my closet."  Good save, I know!  Ha.  Anyway, Sunday morning before he went to see what was in his Easter basket, he came over and gave me a hug that seemed a lot like a "thank you" type of hug, like he knew that everything in that basket was really from me.  Did he ever say anything or tip his hand that he knew?  No...do I think he's smart enough to put 2 + 2 together?  I know he is...however, he does still seem to believe in the tooth fairy based on conversations we've had about her in the last 2 days, so who really knows?  Regardless, I am thankful that he knows that the real reason we celebrate Easter is not because of the Easter Bunny and the eggs and all the candy he gets, but because of Jesus and what he did for us on the cross.  I couldn't make up something that amazing!

Wasn't it awesome that the day turned out so nice - nice enough for some baseball in the yard!


1 comment:

Kristen said...

I hadn't heard the Easter Bunny/Basket story. My bet is that he figured it out, but was smart enough to not admit it so that he'll still get an Easter basket next year! :)